Senior Center of York
A variety of educational and entertaining programs are being offered at the Senior Center of York inOctober. Participation is open to seniors age 55 or better and their spouses, regardless of age. To register for these activities, sign up in person at the Senior Center or call (757) 890-3444. NOTE: The Senior Center will be closed on Friday, October 19, in observance of Yorktown Day.
· Cyber Security Awareness – Friday, October 12, at 1 p.m. Cyber security refers to the various measures that help protect computers from mobile devices from harmful access by unauthorized users. In an effort to promote awareness and education, Tim Wyatt, York County’s Deputy Director of Information Technology, will provide important tips and tricks to help protect you and your devices from scammers.
· Senior Safety Summit – Tuesday, October 16. Empowering seniors to be safe in their homes and when they are out in the community will be the focus of the 23rd annual Senior Safety Summit. Hosted by the Peninsula Seniors and Law Enforcement Together (S.A.L.T.) Council, the summit will be held on Tuesday, October 16, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Northside Christian Church, 1300 George Washington Memorial Highway, Yorktown. This year’s theme is “Situational Awareness: Seniors Stay Alert,” and covers topics on fire safety, fall prevention, preparing for and responding to an active shooter situation and opioid misuse and abuse. There is a $3.00 fee; register online at http://recreation.yorkcounty.gov by Tuesday, October 9.
· Senior Center Crafters at Market Days – Saturday, October 20, from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Visit Market Days and support the Senior Center’s crafters as they sell a variety of quilts, blankets, household décor, infant sweaters and hats, and more. The Market is held at Riverwalk Landing, 331 Water Street, Yorktown. All of the crafters’ proceeds will benefit the Senior Center.
· October Craft – Monday, October 22, at 10 a.m. Come make a small paper mache pumpkin with facilitator Kathy Wahl just in time for the holidays. This makes a great gift for yourself or a loved one. Please register by Thursday, October 18.
· “War Stories and Pizza” – Monday, October 22, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Veterans can gather and share stories from military service and enjoy a pizza lunch. Senior Center board member and U.S. Army veteran Buck Rodgers is the program facilitator.
· Flu Shot Clinic – Wednesday, October 24, from 9:30 to 11 a.m. Mark your calendars to register for your free annual flu shot. Time slots will be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. No fee or Medicare billing is involved. Call the Senior Center or register at the front desk.
· October Birthday Bash – Friday, October 26, at 1 p.m. Join us for Elvis Presley impersonator Jerry Morgan as he performs the greatest hits from America’s “King of Rock-n-Roll.” Cake and beverage is served. Remember, you do not have to be celebrating a birthday to join in on the fun! Please register by Thursday, October 25.
· Computer Lab General Use. Computers in the Senior Center’s Computer Lab are available for general use Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. patrons must sign in at the front desk to use the computers. The Senior Center is not offering any computer classes during the summer.
York County Government and Courts Schedules for Yorktown Day
York County government offices and courts will follow the schedule listed below on Friday,Read More
Historic Yorktown, Yorktown Day Road Closures
Vehicular access to the following streets in Historic Yorktown will be restricted to residents andRead More